[Spits] First Start

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spits] First Start
From: Larry Vaughan <ljvaughan@pldi.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 23:04:22 -0500
I started my Spit for the first time since the motor was rebuilt four or
five years ago. Initially I tried by myself. I would crank it. It would
start and die. I would turn down the idle screw and try again. It would
start and die and so on.

I got my wife out to the shop and told her to crank it while I jiggled
the throttle. It started like full throttle, no muffler. I was shouting
turn it off while looking for the screw driver and my wife was shouting
what, what, what.

I called my neighbor and we got it started in the normal fashion.
Adjusted it to 2000 RPM with the distributor in the optimum, by ear,
position, let it run a few minutes then shut it down.

Two days later I drained the radiator, no draincock, had to remove the
radiator. The distilled water I put in came out brown, but not bad. I
adjusted the valves to .010, put the radiator back on and added
antifreeze. Started it up and readjusted the idle and distributor.

Now, should I run it 20 minutes then torque the head bolts? I will have
to remove the rocker arm. Can I do that and bolt it back on without
adjusting it again?

http://ljvaughan.homestead.com/firststart.html

Larry