Re: [Spits] Rear Leaf Spring

To: "Spitfire Group" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Rear Leaf Spring
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 18:54:21 -0400
On 30 Oct 2009 at 16:27, Greg Stull wrote:

> I am getting tried of people telling me my rear wheels are about
> to fall off.

Many many years ago I replaced the spring in my Spitfire ('80 1500,
which means it has the longer axle).  For several reasons that seemed
a good idea at the tim.  I wasn't so worried about the obvious
negative camber as about a noise.  That's a long story, but the
thought was that by reducing the u-joint angle a particular noise
would diminish.

Anyway, the new spring gave marginally less negative camber and less
noise, but only for a very short while.  I'd guess that within a few
months or less the car was about the same as it had always been.
Certainly the improvement lasted no more than a year.  I still have
the old spring, never had occasion to attempt taking it apart.  Not
really sure how.  Don't know how many bushings it has, never had
reason to look until now.

The point is, don't expect too much.  The beast is what it is.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com