Re: [Spits] U-joint replacement

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spits] U-joint replacement
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:19:29 -0500
On 1 Jan 2010 at 10:14, Matthew Milkevitch wrote:

> While bolting everything up, I noticed that the u-joint on the
> driver's side half-shaft is coming out of the yoke about 1/8"
> on one side.  I assume this u-joint will require replacement.

It sounds like one of the retaining clips came out or broke or rusted
away.  You need at least to replace the clip but you should replace
the joint anyway.

> I have replacement units on hand.
> Question:  How easy is this repair?

Depends on how hard it is to remove the bearing shells from the
yokes.  The last time I tried it they were stuck pretty good and I
didn't have a good enough press or a big enough hammer.  But in
theory it isn't hard.

You'll need to take the axle out of the car, and if you can't finish
the job you can just take the axle over to a shop that can do it for
you.  Even if you just do that you may have saved some labor cost.

One possible issue is that the clips which came with the u-joint may
not be the exact thickness.  If they are too thin it can allow slop
which will introduce vibration.  A shop will probably a collection so
they can pick on that fits.  Also fit a grease nipple.

I'm sure someone here has better advice.

Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com