[Spits] 1500 boat anchor :-(

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spits] 1500 boat anchor :-(
From: "v6spitfireguy@cox.net" <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 19:26:43 -0500
Well it looks like the 1500 engine I picked up is now a 1500 boat anchor.
As I was pulling the camshaft out of the block, or attempting to, I noticed
that the reason I couldnt withdraw it from the block was because that the
2nd bearing journal on the cam was badly scored, and that was because the
cast bridge supporting the journal was cracked all the way through It now
looks like the good deal that I thought I had wasnt so good after all.  I
seriously doubt that the bridge could be welded up and the bearing bore
reground, and even if it could, it would probably just crack again anyway.
So I am searching for a decent 1500 block since all the other parts are
basically in good shape  I am not sure if the cam can be saved, although I
should think that the bearing journals could be ground down to early cam
dimensions, and the block fitted with bearings, which is probably a better
deal in the long run.  The cam itself, other than the bearing journal, is
in great shape  and it may even be possible to save the journal itself by
regrinding just that journal.  Anyway it looks like the quest continues
and the wife will have to wait a bit longer for her higher torque engine

Barry Schwartz
San Diego, CA

http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web