Re: SU dashpot and crank venting

To: "Larry G. Miller" <millerls@classic.msn.com>
Subject: Re: SU dashpot and crank venting
From: Ron Soave <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 08:40:10 -0500
Cc: Sprite list <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Larry G. Miller wrote:

> You can't really overfill them. If your pistons react too slowly you might try
> a lighter oil.

Found a little bit of crud in the chamber;  Acetone and soft cloth
buffing coupled with Marvel Mystery Oil (which looks, smells, and feels
amazingly like automatic transmission fluid - hmmmm...) for the piston
tube did the trick.  The problem was primarily the dirt, followed by
heavy motor oil instead of a light oil.  Now that we're nice and
stoichometric, next question (previously asked on Healey list with
little success):

How much (if any) crankcase vent discharge is normal?  My engine is leak
free otherwise (and at idle), but after any sustained driving I get a
lot of discharge from the tube (it looks a lot like Amy Turner's Bugeye
cursor).  I suspected blowby, but the oil didn't blacken up as is the
norm.  The engine is relatively new, so I thought maybe the rings hadn't
seated, but I get good compression (150-160 on all 4).  Exhaust pipe
discharge is also clean.  I know the vent tube is supposed to use a
slight vacuum effect at speed as a draw through agent, but this happens
to the extent that oil drips on the exhaust pipe and fogs up the garage
like an opium den after I shut the car off after any significant drive.
The oil fill cap vent is fine as well. Anyone else get this discharge,
and how much?