[Fwd: Re: 5-speed conversion: the front U-joint]

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: 5-speed conversion: the front U-joint]
From: chuck ciaffone <chuckc@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 16:07:53 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Forwarding Ron's note to me.

chuck
--- Begin Message ---
To: chuckc@ibm.net
Subject: Re: 5-speed conversion: the front U-joint
From: Jaral48462@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:21:10 -0500 (EST)

<< Question: How does the front U-joint come out of the drive
 shaft. >>

The joint is a welded integral part of the drive shaft.  The Datsun Drive
shaft has Universals Joints that are staked in place and are not replaceable.
 As a group we in Michigan have been trying to find a replacement for the
Datsun U joints with replaceable bearings.  No success so far.  The way I
have seen the Drive shafts modified is to cut the Splined slip shaft off the
Datsun and Sprite/Midget drive shafts  then weld splined slip joint to the
Sprite/Midget drive shaft.  Not the method that I'm fond of.  It may be
possible to machine the Datsun joints to accept replacable bearing which
would require cutting a groove in the four joints to accept internal snap
rings.  The trick is finding the appropriate bearings.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Ron

--- End Message ---