Re: It's not a matter of money, Trevor

To: Fred Krampits <fred@hprrc725.rose.hp.com>
Subject: Re: It's not a matter of money, Trevor
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 19:06:15 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Fred Krampits wrote:
> Money is not the object, quality is, if a Grille of low quality costs
> $300 and a grille of high quality costs $500, I'm going to buy the $500
> one.

  Well, perhaps you would. But would everyone else? Would
enough people be willing to do it that Moss would still
survive?

  How many companies can survive doubling their prices, even
if the quality really merits it?

  Personally, I've been happy with everything I purchased
from Moss. I can't say though that I'd be eager to pay a whole
lot more. It's surprising how fast an order of "nothing" adds
up to $200.

> then I get these fixing brackets. Made in taiwan, that
> make a 2 min job of attaching my sidecurtains into a ten minute
> labourious adventure.

  I am simply trying to put it in a bit of perspective.

  It may not be realistic to think that they could survive
at all if they had to make every part using domestic
labour and making every part to extremely high quality.

> I'm a 43 year old guy that makes good money, not a teenage
> restorer. My apologies again Trevor if you are a teenage
> restorer.

  I'll calmly ignore this and reply that my financial
situation is just fine, thank you.

  I don't think it's a question of having money,
it's a question of financial responsability considering
the car in question.

  I think just about all of us could buy five Midgets
today if we wanted to. However, it's simply not financially
sensical to spend extreme amounts of money on our cars
no matter how much we love them.

  Maybe "Made in UK" hood snaps at $10 each are much better
than made in taiwan snaps at $3 each. For something like snaps
that you deal with, it might be worth the extra.

  However, the example you bring up is $300 up to $500. Frankly,
any time I spend $300 on a car worth $3000 I consider that
an extreme investment even if I have $300 in my pocket. I'm frankly
not so eager to encourage Moss to become an elitist supplier
of top quality top price parts.

  ...especially considering that most people seem, in general,
to be please with the parts they get from Moss as it is.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada