Re: Spec-Sprite vintage race cars

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spec-Sprite vintage race cars
From: Rick Doig <rickbo@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 22:07:19 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
SPEC-SPRITES

        The other day someone inquired about "Spec-Sprite" race cars as
referred to in the latest Mini-Mania brochure.  I'll try to fill you
in on what this is all about, but the best person to contact is the
originator of the Spec-Sprite concept, Roger Williams of the Gulf Coast
Healey Club (Houston, Tex. area).
        Roger, and I (on a limited basis) have put together a company
that will build vintage race quality Spridgets on a shoe-string budget
that are competitive, yet reliable, race cars. Spec-Sprites are like
"spec-homes".  They're all built the same, (suspension, wheels, tires,
running gear) then the customer chooses the color, stripes, graphics,
etc.  Like choosing wallpaper and linoleum for a spec-home.  These cars
can be put together in a variety of "levels".  1.)Turn key (you don't
have a car, but you want a race car completely built for you)  2.)Kit
form (you have a car and you buy the prepackaged Spec-Sprite components
then, along with detailed instructions including specifications for your
machine shop, you build your own car) 3.)Bare bones (we provide all the
"how to" information-the "recipe" for a Spec-Sprite-and a parts list
with suppliers information, and you go for it all on your own)  Also a
number of combinations of the above can be accommodated, such as you
have a car and you send it to us to build.  Or we build a car, but you
want to do your own painting, etc.
        I have a Spec-Sprite that I have campaigned this whole year
since building it in Feb.  Roger's car has been on the track for two
vintage racing seasons (two years), as has Scott's (another Gulf Coast
Healey club member).  All of this racing has been completed with nothing
more than normal maintenance between race events (oil change, head
re-torqueing, checking all suspension and brake components, etc.) no
expensive engine rebuilds.  We just finished another car that the owner
recently completed his driver's school in and is thrilled with the
performance of the car.  We are currently working on two more cars, and
have available 5 more bodies ready to start on.
     If you want to get into vintage racing and don't want to mortgage
the house to do it, then this is the way to go!!

                               Rick Doig       (281)-263-5417 work
                                               (281)-438-5088 home
                               Roger Williams (281)-498-8110ext4180#work
                                               (281)-341-5767 home