Re: castrol vs. valvoline

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: castrol vs. valvoline
From: Dwgwater@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 16:44:05 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-11-13 05:17:44 EST, redlotus@spacey.net writes:

<<  I find that Marvel Mystery Oil also increases pressure. The can says it
 > increases viscosity of crankcase oils, and it apparently does, but I
 don't
 > understand why.

 It looks, smells, feels, and has the detergent properties of automatic
 transmission fluid.  The detergent aspect could clean out "orifices" to
 help oil pressure, but it does seem to have a more immediate effect.
 Something must be a little different, though.  Whatever.

I recall some time ago Road & Track ( I think) wrote a tech article on oils.
 From what I recall, stuff like Marvel mystery Oil, STP and such is basiclly
a viscosity index improver.  All multiweight oil has it, to make it
multiweight, but VI improver breaks down and gets gummy at high temps.
 10W-40 has more VI improver than 10W-30 due to (to get actually) the greater
viscosity range, but is less durable, particularly in high temp applications,
and 10W-40 Is therefore actually less desireable in "todays higher revving
engines" like the A series.  My two cents is that the low oil pressure is a
lesser problem  than gumming up the engine by adding straight VI improver.
 I'd stay away from the stuff, unless you're running a 78 Monte Carlo (that
still has the original shocks)
dave groundwater, 70 Midget