Chills and Helicopters

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Chills and Helicopters
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 97 17:39:08 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Me and my trusty Midget just got back from a Philly MG club run to the
American Helicopter Museum near West Chester, PA. Lets see - Woke up fell
out of bed dragged a comb across my head, pointless as I had the top off
and my hair is long enough to get tangled.

It was about 35 F when I left at 9 AM I had sweatshirt, jeans, leather
hat, leather coat, and thinsulate gloves. Oh yea sneakers( yes I used to
live in AR but I still wear shoes). Went and met Mr. Schulte in another
Midget and cruised down the turnpike for about 30 miles at about 70. Hit
a few flakes, snow that is. and we met up at Haverford HS. At about 11 we
went for a 25 or 30 mile MG road cruise to the museum. Along the way we
had to stop at one point to wait for a bunch of horses and riders on a
fox hunt. They were dressed in the traditional fox hunt clothes. As we
passed several of them waved and said Hi. I even got a couple of offers
for dates (two from the horses) as I was the only topless driver. (See
Carol I managed to fit that in). There were 7 or 8 MG's and we got a
group rate at the museum.

I am sure that some of you have been "up close and personal" with
choppers but I never have. ('cept a ride in one in HS but I wasn't payin'
attention, now my name is attention and you can pay me). One of the most
interesting things I learned today was how the rotors work. Yea they go
around I already knew that. But did you know that they change pitch every
90 degrees. and have since Pialasky (sp) and Sikorsky first flew them in
the late 30's? On the forward part of the arc they are pitched up, to
give lift. on the front of the arc, they are flat, unless the chopper is
moving R or L. On the backswing they are "down" to avoid stall on the
rotor. At that point of the end of the arc, before they come forwards
again the are the opposite of the front - flat unless moving R or L. Cool
huh?
After the V-22 Osprey, we all went our separate ways.

I again drove with Jim in the only other Midget. And it had started to
cool off as evening approached. We stopped for lunch and had some good
Clam Chowder. When we left the restaurant I noticed a puddle of
antifreeze under the Midget. Damn - I just had the rad out and replaced
the water pump. Crawled under the front and found that the lower Rad hose
was leaking from the hose clamp area. Tried to tighten it but the clamp
is too rusted. Filled the overflow with water. And away we went. Got home
about 4.

Man did I have a great ride!! Too bad those other wimps (Dr. Doug) didn't
have their tops down. That made the drive all the more exhilarating.

Sorry so long But I had a blast. The cold air mad it all the better!!!

Larry Macy
78 MIdget