Re: Sprite Options (long)

To: phillipp@cfw.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Sprite Options (long)
From: BRUCE48127@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 21:58:43 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

<<just thought I would pass this allong. I went through My Service Parts
 List (Part # AKD829, June 1960). These are all of the options I found
 available for the MK I Sprite. If any of you know of any others let me
 know .

 Hard Top
 Sliding Sidescreens
 Windtone Horns
 Cigar Lighter
 Luggage Grid Kit
 Wing Mirrors
 Heater Kit
 Fresh Air Heater Kit
 Windscreen Washer Kit
 Front Bumper
 Front Number Plate for Front Bumper
 Tachometer
 Tonneau Cover

 Amco If I remember correctly offered

 Luggage Rack
 Front and Rear Bumper overiders
 Full length console with ash tray and radio speaker
 Sill Plates
 Carpet Kit
 Side wind wings
 Sun visors
 Battery Tray
 Short Toneau Cover
 Radio (Moterola)
 Fender Mirrors

 Pete Phillips
 61 Bygeye AN5L47831
 Waynesboro, VA >>

There are really three basic types of options; factory, dealer and
aftermarket (also called period accessories).  The first type is self
explanatory. The second type included some for only the Sprite (and after
1961, the Midget) and some which could be fitted to several BMC models.  The
third type included AMCO, Lucas, Smiths and many other companies product's
which were available during the time period.  Check out some old magizanes
for some neat ads.  This group included some items also in the first and
second group such as luggage racks, steering wheels and hardtops, but, also
included some others such as superchargers.  Another very limited group of
accessories was offered first by The Donald Healey Motor Company, and later
by BMC's Special Tuning Department.  (At various times this group included
many engine, suspension and drive train changes including limited slip
differential, straight-cut close-ratio gears, lightened rockers, etc.)
Some other options;
disk brakes (bugeye)
six ply tires (early cars)
radial tires (later cars)