Re: Spec Sprite Proposal

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Subject: Re: Spec Sprite Proposal
From: Rick Doig <rickbo@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 21:56:59 -0600
Cc: Rich.A.Wagner@mcdermott.com, "spridgets@Autox.Team.Net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, Team Thicko List <team-thicko@Autox.Team.Net>, Elmo Mancini <elmomancini@thicko.com>, Black Bart <blackbart@thicko.com>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Wm. Severin Thompson wrote:

> Rich,
>
> For a small fee, I can provide you with some of Elmo Mancici and Black
> Bart's cheatin' dog tricks....
>
> WST
> Flounder
> Team Thicko
>
> Rich.A.Wagner@mcdermott.com wrote:
>
> > A proposed spec sprite race class appeared in the current MiniMania
> > sprite
> > sale
> > flyer as well as on their web page.  The intent is to keep costs low
> > and
> > with a
> > few exceptions (e.g.. locked rear end and cut down windshield), the
> > car
> > could
> > still be streetable.  The only significant engine mod allowed is a
> > Kent 276
> > cam
> > - 8.8 compression, stock carbs and no head modifications.  How does
> > this
> > proposal differ from the improved touring D rules for a spridget?
> >
> > Rich Wagner
> > 74 midget
> > 90 miata (I know it's heresy and might get me thrown off the list)

        As an owner/racer of one of the original first three
"Spec-Sprites", (built by myself and Roger Williams, the originator of
the idea) I have only three things to say: 1. There will always be
someone who thinks they are getting away with something if they cheat.
2. If you do cheat, you'll be running ahead of the pack all by yourself,
while the rest of the Spec-Sprites will be having fun dicing in the
turns.  If a plastic trophy is that important to you, then go ahead.  3.
 I've raced my Spec- Sprite all this past year and can honestly say it
feels fast, it feels safe, it feels reliable, it is inexpensive, and IT
FEELS GREAT!!
        Bend the rules, perspire a bit at pre-race tech, cloak your
work, beat everyone, and after the race I'll shake your hand and tell
you "Good race" and mean it , because I don't care!!  I'm having fun!!!
                                        Spec-Spritefully Yours,
                                        Rick Doig
                                        Gulf Coast Healey Club
                                        Houston, Texas
P.S.  If anyone would like more information about the rules and
guidelines for the Spec-Sprite program, or perhaps want a
Spec-Sprite(Midget) built for you, you can contact Roger Williams by
phone at 281-341-5767 or e-mail:
                  rwilliam@elsikmail.alief.isd.tenet.edu