Re: timing by EAR ???

To: "Evangelos G. Makris" <emakris@hol.gr>
Subject: Re: timing by EAR ???
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 11:02:07 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Short answer is no.  When I sold my racing Cooper S, the new owner had some
tuning problems.  A quite experienced but not very smart mechanic "helped"
him work on the problem, and timed the engine by ear.  To 45 deg BTDC.  The
rebuild of the head cost over $500, and included 4 new exhaust valves and
seats.  Buy a timing light, or set the timing statically.  Both work just
fine for stock engines.

Brian