Big Studs

Subject: Big Studs
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 18:31:05 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, team-thicko@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In the message below, Gary 'Black Bart' Speckman suggests the upgrade from
3/8" wheel studs to 7/16" wheel studs.
Should I do this when using any kind of wide rubber, or will the stock
studs work fine if I don't use Vega wheels?  I'll probably use 165/70s on
5" rims on the street only.

Could someone explain how this is done and a source for the studs?
Are the studs just press-fit into the front and rear hubs?  Do I just
drill the holes larger (what size?) and press in the new studs?

Thanks a bunch,
Ulix with the tiny stud(s)

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Black Bart wrote:

> Ulix, They may or may not fit, but there is something else you have to watch
> for when using the Vega rims.
>
> The original 3/8" NF wheel studs are marginal in strength and must be
> uniformily torqued to survive.  If torque is lost on one or two studs, the
> remaining studs fail, immediately, followed closely by the less loaded ones
> and then the wheel comes off with no apparent warning.  This problem becomes
> really severe if Vega steel wheels are used because the Sprite/Midget nut
> seems to work, but usually bottoms on the stud shoulder before full clamping
> force is developed, or starts to pull through the larger Vega hole.  Racers
> using Vega steel wheels add a larger steel spacer between wheel and drum at
> least 1/4" thick because rear hub/axle O.D. is smaller than the Vega stamped
> center which bears on the drum outside of the hub support, causing the drum
> to crack, usually followed by stud failure if the 3/8" studs are used.
>
> The solution, if you are using Vega wheels involves using 7/16" NF studs for
> which tapered seat nuts are readily available.
>
> Good Luck, and upgrade to 7/16" studs and new nuts.
>
> Gary Speckman
>

> At 03:43 PM 2/3/98 -0800, Ulix Goettsch wrote:
> >Do Vega GT steel rims fit the rear of a square wheelarch Sprite or do they
> >stick out too far?
> >
> >I would want to use 165/70 or 185/60s.
> >
> >Thanks,

> >                                                           '67 Sprite