Re: Tire Size & checking tranny out of the car.

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@Exit109.com>, <jburruso@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Tire Size & checking tranny out of the car.
From: "Patton Dickson" <kpatton@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 22:56:54 -0600
Cc: "Spridget List" <Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
To: jburruso@pacbell.net <jburruso@pacbell.net>
Cc: Spridget List <Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Date: Wednesday, April 01, 1998 8:38 PM
Subject: Re: Tire Size

>jburruso@pacbell.net wrote:
>
>> When I bought my BugEye it had 155SR13 radials on it.  Using stock rims,
>> what is the optimal tire size for street driving.
>>
>> Also,  is there a way to test a transmission out of the car?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Joe Burruso
>> 60 Sprite AN5L/26473
>
>I use 165/70 X 13s , I just can't stand those skinny 145/80s anymore.Once
you go
>to 165/70s you will never go back to stock.
>
>I wish I knew how to test a tranny out of the car, i have about 8
transmissions
>in "unknown condition"
>I just rebuilt one and it made it about 50 miles before it jambed in first.
>I hope this other one lasts longer.

The local club has a setup that they use to test big Healey trannys out of
the car.  They made a mount that attaches to the bell housing (it was made
out of strips of iron that looked like large erector set stuff), and a large
electric motor in the middle that spins the transmission. It didn't look
very complex.  I saw it in use, but did not pay much attention o the adapter
that fit on the end of the motor.  I do know the thing seemed to work
though, since the tranny they were checking out got rejected.

Sorry I didn't pay better attention, Dennis do you know what I'm talking
about???  I may have a picture here somewhere of the thing.

Patton