Re: Loose Booty

To: Larry and Sandi Miller <millerls@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Loose Booty
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 11:30:04 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Larry,

A 67 doesn't have a shift boot, it has the same setup as a bugeye.
Late 1275s had a boot that fit OVER the metal shift dome, I guess to make
the car look more 'modern' :)
With the Spitfire transmission, the dome didn't fit anymore and they went
to a formed rubber piece covering the opening with a shift gaitor built
in, over which installed a shift boot which was held down by a metal ring,
basically identical to the flange on the bottom of the earlier shift dome.

I felt that the later boot was more appropriate and ordered it.  The
gaotor and the ring were NLA so I used fender washers to hold down the
boot.  I since have obtained both pieces, but the gaitor doesn't fit the
Datsun setup anyway.  The ring obviously does.

Short answer:  I used the one for the 1500, but haven't tried the other
one.

P.S.:
I noticably quieted things down by installing a layer of carpet padding
under the trans tunnel carpet, with a shifter hole just big enough to not
impede lever movement.

Ulix

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Larry and Sandi Miller wrote:

> Ulix
>
> I have offers for a gearshift boot flange from a 67 and from a rubber bumper
> car. I don't know the difference but remember you saying that you used a
> boot from a later car and if I remember correctly your's is a 67. Do you
> know what year group your shift boot is from?
>
> Larry

                                                           '67 Sprite