Re: Generators and alternators

To: Phil Profili <pprofili@hercii.mar.lmco.com>
Subject: Re: Generators and alternators
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 09:02:12 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, ggrant@magi.com
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Exactly.  And for that reason you would probably have to change the wiring
harness all around.
A regulator costs around $65 I think.  If it doesn't work quite right,
your battery will go dead when you drive with lights, wipers and fan going
at the same time, or the battery will boil over and distribute acid all
over you engine compartment...

Don't do it.
Ulix

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Phil Profili wrote:

> To convert back to a generator, you'll need the regulator box.
>
> I believe alternators have a higher output at low revs - they're also self
> contained (regulator is built in).
>
> > From spridgets-owner@autox.team.net Wed Apr  8 10:04:26 1998
> > From: Grant <ggrant@magi.com>
> > Subject: Generators and alternators
> > To: spridget <spridgets@autox.team.net>
> >
> > I have a 71/2 Midget (date of construction 71, serial number 72,
> > registered in 73) which was equipped originally with an alternator.
> > Unfortunately I have one sorrow alternator and two brand new generators
> > from the purchase of a few basket case midgets.
> >
> > Question:
> >
> > Is there a compelling reason to favour an alternator (lucus) over a
> > generator?
> >
> > And if not, is it a simple retro conversion back to a generator on a car
> > designed for an alternator?
> >
> > Appreciate any comments....glenn
> >
> > Dr. Glenn C. Grant
> > 78 MGB, 71/2 Midget