bugeye body shell

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: bugeye body shell
From: Daniel Thompson <dthompso@total.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 13:32:00 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Found this amusing and thought I would share it with the list. I am
restoring my 1958 Sprite and, not too long ago, delivered the bare shell
to my bodyman for restoration. He has finished shot-blasting it and has
now complete cutting out the rusted areas. Not much left of the car!

What I found amusing is his reaction upon seeing the complexity of the
shell's construction. This guy has already done an XK150S and 3 Jaguar
E-types, there was one more in the shop when I was there along with a
big Healey and an MG PA. He restored Auburns that have won at Hershey
and countless other cars. He has fantastic panel making skills.

Anyway, he cannot get over how complex the construction of my Bugeye is.
For example, the rear "deck" being spot welded onto the beading which is
then spot welded onto the support bracket which is then spot welded to
the inner wheelarch which is then spot welded to the outer wheelarch
which is then spot welded to the outer fender. All in all, five layers
of spot welds which he is not looking forward to recreating. In the seam
in question we had to drill out about 70 spot welds before removing the
rear fender.

Now, this car is serial number 612 and was produced in early April 1958
(before the official launch). I told him that the British were probably
afraid that the Sprite, the first mass produced unit body car, would
fall to pieces. So they over compensated by welding it like crazy. My
body man figures you could drop a "hemi" into one of these shells and it
won't twist/flex.

He swears that an E-types shell is much easier to restore. Just another
reason to get a fixed price before you commit to a resto shop!

I am videotaping the whole process for those that are interested. The
shell should be finished within a couple of months.

Long live the list,

Daniel Thompson
AN5L 612
HAN8L 40474