Re: Thanks and a additional Gearbox question

To: Fred Krampits <fred@hprrc725.rose.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Thanks and a additional Gearbox question
From: Randell Jesup <Randell.Jesup@scala.com>
Date: 17 Apr 1998 23:38:52 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Fred Krampits <fred@hprrc725.rose.hp.com> writes:
>Now on the gearbox problem, it pops out of 4th almost every time I use
>it. However if I am very deliberate in going through the gears I can get
>it to stay in 4th sometimes. It pops out as soon as I stop
>accellerating, sometimes forcefully, sometimes gently, I DO NOT try to
>hold it in 4th. I did not fully understand the replys I got, is this
>something that may be fixable from the interior?

        Fixable without pulling the trans?  No.  Also, I strongly advise
NOT using 4th anymore until this is fixed.  Everytime it pops, I believe it
causes angled wear on the gear 'dog' teeth (what you grind if the synchros
are dead, but in this case the wear problem is with the parallel section
wearing at an angle, not the pointed-teeth section).

        I drove a Sprite with a dead 4th gear for 2+ years as my only
transportation in high school/college.  5500-6000 rpm cruise on the highway
(1098 (10CC) engine, 4.22 rear).  Fun on highway trips.  (NOT)

        Two primary possible causes for popping: one, a worn or weak
spring/plunger on the 3rd/4th fork shaft.  Second, worn dogs on the input
gear or on the 3rd/4th collar.  (Ok, two others: worn shift fork not fully
engaging 4th gear, and worn bearings (input shaft), maybe.)

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com