Re: My 1500 Piper cam is seized

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: My 1500 Piper cam is seized
From: "William West" <will_thane@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 08:48:32 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Greetings!

>>Eric Mumford wrote:
>> Can anyone hazard a guess as to how in the world the camshaft >>siezed,
>
>Did you put in new cam bearings?

The mighty 1500  was designed not to use cam bearings.  Strange, but true!
Eric, is it possible that there was a problem with oil flow to the cam? You
cleaned the oil passages, I'm assuming... Did you check out the cam before
you installed it? Were the 'blood rills' (as I call them),the oil grooves,
cut into the cam journals? Were they clear?

Wow, this one is baffling me?  I've never seen a cam seize before! When you
pull the cam, it will be interesting to see where it jammed up and,
hopefully, you work from there.  Wish I could be of more help, but I'm new
to this game.  Good luck! We're pullin' for ya!

Will