Oil Filter adapters

To: Spridgeteers <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Oil Filter adapters
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 19:21:43 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Message text written by "Elliott, Patrick"
>After replacing my first paper element filter on my 1275, I looking to
buy an Oil filter adapter. I've seen what Moss , VB, and Mini Mania have
to offer and would like to hear the pros and cons from anybody who's "
been there, done that. "<

Well, I don't want to frighten you, but.....

I got the one from Moss Motors.  First off, it arrived with no gasket.
Called up Moss and the dude sounded pissed that I had interrupted his nap
and said that I could make one.  He eventually agreed to put one in the
mail.  The installation then went pretty smoothly, for a novice.
About 6 months later I was driving down our road when I heard this horrible
gurgling noise.  I  honestly thought there was a big black snake in the car
with me, ready to bite me. Got out and there was a trail of Castrol 20-50
going all the way back to our house.  Fortunately, being paranoid, I always
keep a lot of oil in the trunk.  Filled it back up, drove 1/4 mile,
refilled with another 4 quarts and got home.  The Exxon Valdez trail took
more than a year to wash away from the (new) subdivision road and, of
course, everyone knew it was me because it lead up our driveway, plus I'm
the only idiot with an MG.  (I know I should have called a tow truck but I
was mightily pissed)
Yeah, the adapter had let loose.  I put the old arrangement back on but now
changed the filter by undoing the whole shebang from the engine block and
doing it on the workbench.  Later on, I swapped the arrangement for one
that came on my 1971 project car - it has a nice stock cast iron adapter
that takes a spin-on filter, thank you very much.
I don't know what to tell you - maybe I didn't tighten the thing down tight
enough.  It's an aluminum thing that comes with Allen bolts, so you can't
really get a socket on it and tighten - besides I think there was a caution
about overtightening.  I tightened as hard as I could with an Allen wrench.
I would stick with factory system - keep telling yourself it's fun.

Best o' Luck,  Adrian