Brake system rebuild update (long)

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Brake system rebuild update (long)
From: Jim Rowan <jimrowan@uic.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:36:51 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Over the winter I rebuilt the brake system in the Sprite in anticipation of
using silicone brake fluid. I was fed up with wiping up the eternal dribble
of brake fluid that leaked from the master and was threatening to eat my
new paint.
The car has front and rear drums. Mind you I am a newbie to hydraulic
systems and Sprites. Thankfully the Sprites system is very basic and a
perfect starter. Even after finishing the rebuild I don't pretend to be a
expert on brakes, rather one step up from a newbie. Another factor making
me nervous was the silicone debate, it was either the devil's fluid or the
blood of christ. After reading up on the pros & cons I decided to go for
it. My car was a prime candidate for silicone, weekend driver, laid up for
periods of time, etc...

Prior to the rebuild the brakes engaged very far down and took up almost
the full travel of the pedal to bite. The clutch was the same and made for
uncomfortable shifting. I had the pedal adjusters at the master cranked all
the way and it still didn't help.

The extent of the rebuild goes like this:
-New wheel cylinders: the originals where on the car and where in very sad
shape
-Stainless steel flex lines to replace the rubber. The tube lines were fine
as the PO   had replaced them 4 years ago, also SS.
-New shoes front and rear and springs (which my knuckles are just
recovering from)
-Had the drums turned and repainted. Previously the drums dragged a bit
with high/low  spots, now they spin freely
-Installed "speedbleeders" which worked flawlessly. Made bleeding the
brakes a one man      job just keep an eye on the MC.
-Had the Master cylinder rebuilt/sleeved by White Post Restoration: very
nice job, pricey but worth it. Nice people too!
This also gave me a chance to clean the wheel well area thoroughly,
suspension, hubs, etc...

The results:

The brake pedal is now very firm and there is some serious (for a Sprite
anyway) stopping power. It should only get better as the shoes get seated.
I have the micrometer adjusters set at 1 click in the rear and none in the
front. Parking brake needed a little adjustment too.

The clutch is also nice and firm. It engages about half way down. Shifting
is very smooth and lurch free.

I have been keeping a close eye out for leaks in the system and have
spotted none yet after 2 1/2  weeks and 7 drives. I still had the problem
of fluid leaking out from the cap (original metal type) on the master. No
matter how tight I put it on it still leaked. So I went to TrakAuto and
bought an O-ring to fit around the base of the filler neck. Tightened it
down, went for a spirited drive and viola no more leaking brake fluid. So I
really didn't have to change to silicone all I needed was a 50 cent O-ring.
I was also worried about the brake light switch not working as I had heard
stories of silicone not working with the switch. The lights work fine
(thank you Lucas gods).

I wouldn't want to start this project again cause it was ALOT of work
(especially reaching the bleeder on the clutch slave cylinder) but it was
definitely worth the results. I'll keep the list updated if any problems
arise.
See you on the road!

Stopping on the white line now,
Jim Rowan