Re: Soft top header rail installation

To: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Subject: Re: Soft top header rail installation
From: jcarlile@altavista.net
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 23:07:04 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

 ---- you wrote:

> When I put on my top, I decided to go with countersunk  self-tapping sheet
> metal screws rather than rivets to attach the seal channel to the header
> rail.   That makes it easier to remove the seal channel in the future if
> necessary, and avoids having  all of those drilled-out rivet tails rattling
> around inside the header rail.

Definitely. That's the only way to go. Forget the rivets, they're unnecessary.
Use screws instead. Replacing a soft top is super easy if you get one with
snaps already installed. Just be sure you leave it in the sun for awhile, and
then pull tight-tight-tight when gluing to header rail. Use contact cement. Not
a bad job at all-- don't believe the books, they get paranoid about it. You can
do it in a half hour.

Jim
74 MGB