Re: Exhaust Problems

To: "Philip Hubbard" <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Problems
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 22:57:41 -0400
Cc: "spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Philip, we'll know more when you inspect your system more closely, but my
'73 Midget has the single muffler like you describe, and the system I
bought came with the triangular flange to mate with the flange on the
manifold.    If your new system comes with a flange that won't mate with
your manifold, any muffler shop can weld the flange off your old downpipe
onto the new one so you don't have to buy a new manifold.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain

----------
> From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
> To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> Subject: Exhaust Problems
> Date: Sunday, April 26, 1998 10:25 PM
>
> I've already posted here on how my exhaust front pipe cracked in two near
> the manifold.  I thought all was relatively well as I had ordered a new
> exhaust system while at Britfest.  Unfortunately I may have further
> troubles.  The closer I look at my manifold, the more it looks like an
> older unflanged type.  Actually this makes sense because my '74 Midget
did
> not have the bent two muffler system orginal to the car.  It had a
straigth
> pipe with single muffler.  So it probably had an older type manifold too.
> Without paying too much attention I ordered the "correct" muffler/pipe
> system.  Now I wonder if it will work with my manifold.  I'd bite the
> bullet and get a new manifold, but the flanged type don't seem to be
> available through Moss or VicBrit.  Am I reading the catalog wrong, I
> wonder or are they just that hard to find?
>
> Anyone with any thoughts on this?  A good source for the manifold or can
> use the old one with the new system (seems a bit unlikely)?  I'll try to
> jack the car up tomorrow and take a closer look at the damage, but I
don't
> think I'll find a flange.  :)  My oh my, what am I getting myself into?
hehe