Mark 1 Midget dash and steering wheel

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Mark 1 Midget dash and steering wheel
From: Frmjr45 <Frmjr45@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 16:28:13 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Greg and Phil,
   I have a '62 Midget that I have had since '63.  The dash on these early
Midgets were grained vinyl covered and matched the seats.  I can't remember
where I saw it last, but you could buy rolls of this stuff from one of the
suppliers.  I checked the Moss and they don't have it.  Maybe it was VB, but I
don't deal with them anymore, I sent back more wrong stuff that they sent me
than I kept. They don't know anything about early Midgets- they have numerous
incorrect listings.
    The steering wheel wasn't really white(I still have the original) but a
light tan or beige.  It was only produced for 1961 or 62. The wheel is prone
to serious cracking.  I sent mine to a shop in Florida that specializes in
steering wheel restoration, and it kept cracking.  The guy there was close to
going nuts over it, so he gave me my money back minus shipping.  It looks
better than it did, but it is still cracked.  I just have it for originality.
I'm still threatening to go to a wood rim some day.
     I always found it odd that the Sprite's wheel in ' 62 was only black, and
the Midget's was only this beige color that they called white.  With the
cracking problem, I see why BMC discontinued it.

Russ Mullaly
62 Midget