Re: Exhaust Manifold vs. Header

To: "Philip Hubbard" <phubbard@carroll.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Manifold vs. Header
From: "Ron Soave" <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 06:16:41 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Philip,

My understanding:  A header is a manifold that has pipe lengths and
geometry tuned so that backpressure is at a minimum while assuring that the
pulse of exhaust from one cylinder does no interfere with the exhaust flow
of from another cylinder.  In addition to making the engine work harder
against a backpressure, the backpressure can force air out an intake valve
of a cylinder, which is later drawn into the intake, reducing the amount of
dense fresh air being drawn in.  The tube lengths and geometry of a header
are chosen so that there is what is sometimes called an ejector effect (AKA
shock wave tuning or inertial extraction) where the pulse from one cylinder
is timed so that the momentum of the slug of exhaust leaves an area of low
pressure behind it that will cause an increase in intake charge during the
overlap period (TDC) by "sucking" in more on intake (no Monica Lewinsky
jokes, please).  The header is sized to maximize these effects at various
RPM, and you choose the header based on what point (RPM) in the power curve
you want the most help.