Re: Too much smoke

To: Dave <dfox@blarg.net>
Subject: Re: Too much smoke
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 17:34:22 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Dave wrote:

> Hi all,
>  I'm busily trying to resurrect my little midget before summer passes me by.
> The engine was rebuilt five years ago and, as I was told, never "run in"
> and has been sitting ever since.
> I think I got the carb thing under control now but what I can't figure out
> is where all the smoke could be coming from.
> While warming up the exhaust is pretty smokey but when the engine temp is
> up I get TONS of light colored smoke.(Neighbors are NOT happy) What could
> cause this ?
> I'm too new at this to know what to suspect.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
> '67 Midget

Dave

Check you PCV system, it could be clogged, ripped, or what ever. It may be
sucking oil out of the crankcase and burning it.
Remove any hoses to the intake manifold, plug the intake, run the car. If the
smoke clears, there's the trouble.
If you have a head gasket leak, the smoke should disapate rather quickly, you
can smell it too.
Oil smoke hangs around.
The head gasket on a Midget takes less then an hour for a beginer.
(I have done it in about 15 minutes on someones car at a car show 5 hours from
home)

Once you know where to look, the problem is easily fixed. Unless of course the
rebuilt engine was done wrong or the new rings are broken. (You didn't read
that!)

--
Frank Clarici                         Toms River, NJ
Too many LBCs