Re: Rear wheel bearings

Subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 08:42:43 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Mike,
I knew that often there is play between the bearing and the "seat", so I
made sure to visually check that the play is _in_ the bearing itself.
The play was more than 0.5mm, though I can't really give you a number
right now. (Car is back on the road)
The prepacked sealed bearings felt nice when taken out of the box,
probably because the grease packing keeps it from showing play.
The dry stock bearings showed (to me) surprising play right out of the
box.

Thanks for clearing up WHY these bearings are better.
I can post the bearing numbers if anyone cares.  I paid ~$65 for both.

Ulix

On Fri, 8 May 1998, Mike Gigante wrote:

> Hmm, how much play are we talking about?
>
> How easy was the hub to push onto the banjo? If it was pretty easy,
> perhaps your problem is wear on the bearing/seal seat of the banjo.
>
> This would show up as (rocking) play, and would also result in oil
> leaks, esp for the unsealed bearings.
>
> Try putting a steel ruler (or some other straight edge) along the seat
> area and look for low spots. Also check with vernier calipers.
>
> At a guess, I'd say 0.5mm play at the edges of the hub seems familiar
> but I would have to check.
>
> BTW, the sealed bearings Ulix is referring to have 9 balls as opposed
> to 8 in the stock bearings and are meant to be longer lasting.
>
> Mike

                                                           '67 Sprite