Leaky carb

To: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Leaky carb
From: Les Myer <lmyer@probe.net>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 18:40:48 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Phillip,

The only use for teflon tape is on pipe threads where the threads are the
actual sealing surface.  Don't even attempt to use it on other types of
threads, as it serves no purpose other than being a source of amusement to
professional mechanics when used inappropriately.

With that said, the jet tube to float bowl connection seal is accomplished
through compression of the rubber gland by the nut/washer.  The nut seals
nothing, therefore attempting to seal the threads will not cure a leak.
The compression of the rubber gland actually holds the tube in place as
well as seals it.  If the nut is overtightened or if the washer is not in
place, the gland will not be properly compressed and a leak occurs.  Since
the nut is tight, but the tube comes out and it leaks I must assume that
the washer is missing or the gland is damaged (outside chance of damaged
jet tube).  The gland/washer is available from VB for under $3.  My
suggestion would be to order some new ones and try again.

Good luck,

Les Myer
PDLJMPR
http://www.probe.net/~lmyer/