Wheel Bearings

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wheel Bearings
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 20:06:51 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I have a question about wheel bearings.  I started to read on how to change
these and found that I am supposed to have a special tool - a hub extractor
and may need another one - a hub bearing remover.  Is this really the case?
 Should I have a pro do the wheel bearings?

Second question is whether I really need the bearings done.  I am hearing a
wobbling sound from the front end and am trying to determine what is
causing this.  It may be from the terrible and/or non-existent bushing up
front which I am going to replace before I do any more driving.  Maybe I
should change these, drive the car and see how it feels/sounds.

OTOH, I took off the front passenger's side tire today and notice that the
break grabs off and on as I rotate the hub.  Wonder if this might be
causing the sound.  I guess adjusting the brake so that it doesn't rub
isn't such a big job so I could do the bushings, adjust the brakes and then
test it out.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Philip