Re: rear shock absorbers

To: "Evangelos G. Makris" <emakris@hol.gr>
Subject: Re: rear shock absorbers
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 08:53:50 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Evangelos G. Makris wrote:

> Now I know my car has the SPAX angled gas damper conversion.
> They form an almost 45-degree angle. Probably that's why
> the car's rear is so rough on uneven roads.

So are you saying the shocks are too stiff or worn out?
In wither case, have you tried adjusting them?  At least the Spax tey sell
over here are adjustable with a little valve.

> A new SPAX damper for this arrangement costs more than a new
> lever damper. In your opinion should I get rid of this
> conversion and revert to the original lever arms/links?

NEW levers are probably a good thing.  I have had bad luck with rebuilds.
OTOH, you could find a cheaper shock of the same length as teh Spax at a
car parts store...

                                                           '67 Sprite