Re: Starter - Progress Report/Thanks

To: "Philip Hubbard" <phubbard@carroll.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter - Progress Report/Thanks
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 15:42:23 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Philip - If your alternator wasn't charging the battery, you should have
seen a red warning light; but if you want to have your alternator checked,
try one of the chain parts stores.  The local Autozone and Car Quest stores
around here will test alternators and starters for free if you bring them
in.  There should be something similar in your area.   Before you take it
off, though, make sure they can test a '74 vintage Lucas alternator.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain

----------
> From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
> To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> Subject: Starter - Progress Report/Thanks
> Date: Wednesday, June 03, 1998 11:49 PM
>
> Listers,
>
> Again, you have saved my bacon.  I finally got the opportunity to try to
> jump start my Midget with the supposedly bad starter (my diagnosis).
> Hooked it up to our Honda Civic and she zoomed to life on the first turn
of
> the key.  Starter yelling out, "Told ya it t'weren't me!" at the top of
its
> lungs.
>
> So this brings up a second issue.  I've got another problem somewhere.  I
> drove this car for about 2 hours straight on the highway last Saturday
and
> I still have no juice in the battery.  This means:
>
> A.  The alternator isn't working correctly to charge the battery.
> B.  The battery is bad.
> C.  Something I don't know about.
>
> Chances are that its C, but here's what I know.
>
> No corrosion of battery terminals
> Electrolyte =levels= are good (but maybe weak - don't know)
> Good connection to battery terminals and to ground on car
> Drive belt seems ok
>
> Now I know I could try to charge it with a battery charger to see if it
> will hold a charge, but I don't own one or have any neighbors with one.
My