Phila MG vs. TR Rally

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Phila MG vs. TR Rally
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 17:37:15 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I have returned!!

I just got back from the 1998 Spring MG vs. Triumph Rally. At stake: the
coveted Lucas Cup.
The turn out was pretty good (if you are a TR lover) 22 cars; 5 MGs (one
bozo was driving a Midget for the TR club) There was a RRB a CBB a TF and
lil' ol' me. The TR's Showed in strength about 6 6's a Spit and a couple
of GT-6's a 3 and a 4. This left the MG Clubber's at 18% of the field.
I got to go first on only my second ever rally. New every trustworthy
daughter was my navigator. This was an "Observational" rally. That is you
have to watch for stuff on the road and then write it down before
watching for the next turn. Well the first loop was pretty easy and we
got all the junk but one item a delivery service called Sir Lancelot
(British - get it, we didn't). Then we were supposed to watch for a 4way
stop sign we drove 15 miles before we turned around and found a Do Not
Enter Sign that led to the right road. Sheesh. The next major mess was a
clue to turn on EMIGRATE ISLAND ROAD. We, and most of the rest of the
field drove up and down the road we we on for about 30 min. We finally
stopped and asked some guy who had never heard of it either, but he did
know of the Chem CO. down the road that was in our next clue. A few
minutes after we found the ARCO Chem place it dawned on us that we had
been driving back and forth past Ellis road for the better part of 30
min.DUH.
The rest of the rally went as I thought it was supposed to including the
clue "Harvey is a? and we passed a 6 foot wooden rabbit next to a carrot
garden.During all of this time we passed quite a few TRs at different
places along the road. An indicator of how far we had gotten behind and
how lost they were as well.
We finally pulled into the stopping place Ridley Creek Park in Delaware
Co.,PA after driving for 2 hours and 45 min over some of the neatest
roads in SE PA. We pulled in in 6th position. Fortunately, time wasn't
what counted it was the score on the clues. There was a total of 8 cars
that finished the rally. 6 TR's and 2 MG's. The RBB and Me. 50% finish
rate. The 6 TR's that finished gave them a 33% finish rate.
After all the scores were tallyed My daughter and I got 3rd!!! and a
plaque. The 2nd place was the RBB and the winner was a great looking TR6.
Unfortunately that also meant he took the Lucas Cup. UNTIL the fall
rally. That gave us 66% of the trophies from a lowly 18% of the starters.
Go Team MG!!!

The Fall rally is open to all comers but the Lucas Cup is only for Philly
club members. I will let everyone know when it is when it gets closer.

Larry Macy
78 Midget
FIRST PLACE this fall.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?