Rear suspension

Subject: Rear suspension
From: "Russell Penney" <rpenney@cyberspace.net.au>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 23:15:02 +1000
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I finally got around to replacing the rear bushes on my sprite on the
weekend. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!
A bumpy road suddenly became a lot easy to drive on.
What I need help with is how to replace the metalastic (?) bushes at the
front of the rear springs. I have the parts but couldn't see any way to get
the old ones out and put the new ones in. This is my only car so if I had of
stuffed it up I would be walking ( not like some on the list, oh to have
that money :-) ). Any help?

Also I found the one of the rear spring brackets ( that holds the shackle )
had a crack in it which broke completely when I took it off. The 2 bolts
next to the shackle are ok but the plate which extends to the 3rd bolt came
off. Can I just get it welded or should I get another one?

Oh almost forgot, when I had the springs off they were held together with
masking tape which had rotted away ( duh ) and separated to reveal a sort of
sticky rusty coloured goo between each leaf. Bad? Should I get a
professional to look at them? Is it just some sort of paste to lubricate the
leaf?

Russell
Melbourne, Australia
1965 MKIIIA Sprite