Re: Grade 8 vs Grade 5

To: mrbugeye@hotmail.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Grade 8 vs Grade 5
From: ric_bergstrom@juno.com (Richard L. Bergstrom)
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 13:48:17 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
ISBN is 0-87938-406-9
Title is Carroll Smith's nuts, bolts, and fasteners Handbook

Published by Motorbooks International...they have an 800 number but I
have no catalog handy.

Carroll Smith states:

Page 91

"Contrary to popular belief, the the stainless steel items are useless
for our purposes simply because they are weak (about 90,000 psi UTS) and
should be used only on boats, and then with a great deal of caution."

He is also talking about aerospace industry produced stainless bolts...so
the garden variety hardware store probably leave even less to be desired.

Not on my car!

Ric Bergstrom,  Richmond,  VA  73-74 Midget, 88 Volvo

Central Virginia MG Classics  WWW.CENTRALVAMG.COM
COME TO RICHMOND---September 19th-20th Richmond British Car Days at
Berkeley Plantation.   E-mail me for info or see the website.