Front Suspension Update - Long

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Front Suspension Update - Long
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 20:51:08 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Those following this novice's bout with the front suspension of my Midget
may appreciate an update.

Stupid me started this on a sunny weekend in the driveway.  Of course, I
don't finish that weekend, but have it torn down enough that I can't put it
back into the garage.  What happens?  Rain, rain and more rain.

Anyhow, I went down to Doug's MG Shop in Howell, NJ to pick up a decent
used a-arm for $25.  Wasn't too bad, but there was more play in the kingpin
than my old one which made me really want to save the old one.  In between
rain sessions yesterday I got the brake caliper off and almost had the
a-arm off, but I couldn't get the kingpin out of the stub axle.  I was
hoping to get the a-arm off with the kingpin still on so I could work on
getting the "metal" bushings off.  Turned out to be good that I couldn't
get it off as it saved me some time and pain of perhaps putting it back on
wrong.

On to today.  Rained until 6:30 pm when I finally ventured out to continue.
 Got the hub off (without hub remover).  I was real lucky.  It came right
off.  Then I decided to use some heat to loosen those damn bushings without
taking the a-arm off the car.  Guess what happened?  The "metal" bushings
started to melt.  Yep.  Poly, but colored like metal.  Weird.  Seemed home
made too as the holes were drilled off center.  So, I was able to melt one
side of each set enought to lever it off and then drove the other side out
using a screwdriver and hammer.  Clean as a whistle now.  Yahoo.  I should
have no problem putting the inner bushings on now.

On to wheel bearings and rotors.  Got the hub off as I said before and
drove the bearings out using a socket and hammer.  I'm not sure I got all
the bearings though.  When I had them in my hand the ball bearings were
just falling off in my hands.  There was no retaining ring to hold them in.
 I guess I'd better look back in the hub, but I didn't see it the first
time.  Didn't look that well though.

So now I need to get the rotor off the hub.  Seems the rotors were warped -
fairly bad grabbing when I rotated the hub with the brake caliper on.  I
bought new rotors since I've got the whole thing apart anyway.  Getting the
old rotor off has been a bear.  Those bolts are rusted tight.  They are out
in the garage soaking in Liquid Wrench now.  I'll soak and heat.  Hopefully
they'll come loose.

That just about covers it for now.  It's slow for this newby, but it is
starting to come along.

Many thanks to all for the help as this project has moved along.

Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget