Charging problem...

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Charging problem...
From: Joerger <joerger@open.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 11:52:58 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I'm home at mid-day 'cause the Westfield has decided to
not charge the battery. ;^(  I've had "interesting"
charging system problems from the outset and could use some
help.

The wiring harness is pure late-model spridget, as per
the diagram on page 187 of the Haynes manual, but my
ignition and starter switches are different, and I can't
figure out what the function of terminal "3" on the starter
switch in the diagram is.

The alternator tests fine, and if I short out the ignition
warning lamp, the system charges fine, but the engine
won't shut off when the key is turned off.  The key is a
simple switch that energizes the equivalent of the "2"
terminal on the wiring diagram.  A seperate push-button
statyer switch spins the starter.

So, how do I get the alternator to properly energize and
charge the system???