RE: 1500: fuel problems

To: "'Charles Schaal'" <cschaal@murlin.com>, "spridgets@auto.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: 1500: fuel problems
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 09:51:55 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Charles -

A couple of other possibilities (from least hassle/cost to most
hassle/cost):

1)  One (or more) of the rubber fuel lines has perished and cracked.  Since
our 1500s use a mechanical fuel pump at the engine, a cracked fuel line
between the tank and the pump will cause the pump to suck air instead of
fuel.  Replace rubber fuel lines.

2)  The diaphragm in fuel pump itself has cracked.  Fuel pump barely moves
any fuel at all.  Replace pump.

3)  The fuel pickup in the tank has fouled.  Remove tank.  Replace (or
thoroughly clean and reseal with a "slushing" compound).

I'd personally figure on number (1).  It's easy enough to check and fix,
and won't require a big expenditure of $$$ if it isn't the problem.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net