Adding an accessory with a relay

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Adding an accessory with a relay
From: Dave_Vrba@mail.sel.sony.com (Dave Vrba)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 09:02:46 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
     ATTENTION electrical gurus on the list.

     Note:  I have a NEGATIVE ground system on my '62 sprite with a 1275
     engine.

     I am going to add a "push fan" to my radiator for the "stop or slow in
     traffic times" to attempt to keep cooler.  Traveling from 0 to 15 MPH
     for extended periods of time is a potential overheat condition for my
     sprite.  I wish to use a relay.  Should the relay coil and the fan
     motor GROUNDS be the correct legs to switch?  Another way of putting
     it would be to attach the HOT + to the relay common. (One side of the
     pull in coil and common terminal of relay, which are separate
     terminals but jumpered at the relay base)  Then when the NO contact
     closes, when the coil activation switch (manual now , thermo maybe
     later) is closed, the fan would be connected through the fan motor to
     ground to complete the circuit. Thus running.....

     I propose this way to minimize the run on the HOT wire through the car
     thus reducing the potential of shorting somewhere.

     Does anyone know of a good source for a (adjustable ?) thermo switch
     that could be inserted into the spare temp gauge probe outlet in the
     radiator? (I have this plugged now) Currently, I have the temp gauge
     probe connected to the block outlet for better gauge feedback of real
     engine temp conditions.

     I hope I haven't rambled to much to confuse the issue(s) at hand.
     Once again, thanks to the list for help.

     David L. Vrba
     '62 A/H Sprite MKII
     HAN6L14083
     Dublin, CA