Engine problem

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Engine problem
From: Ben Willis <ben.willis@bt-sys.bt.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 15:37:08 +0100
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hello List,

I am new to the world of Midgets with a 1973 MKIII 1275 in Blaze. The
car has had a recent body restoration and looks lovely and hopefully
will stay that way for a while despite the English weather.

The engine however is not so happy and smokes pretty bad, getting
through around a litre of oil every hundred miles or so. Sounds okay
(well a bit clattery) and goes well though.

I guess it is the valve guides or rings/bores. I plan to take the head
off this weekend and take a look, but am not quite sure what to look
for. What usually goes first in these engines? Any gotchas or tests I
can do to help me work out what's up?

Any ideas welcomed, so I can sort it out and go driving instead. At last
we have some sun here (for only about the 4th day this summer) and I
don't want to be stuck in the garage :(

Thanks a lot,
Ben