1979 Midget

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 1979 Midget
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 14:42:46 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hey Guys!!

I bought the '70 Midget, good looking little beast.  Lots of new stuff.  As I
printed on the list before it ran kind of rough--cutting out and bogging down
under load.  As soon as I got her home, I timed the ignition by ear, turning
the distributor until I got a smooth (fairly) idle, and it wouldnt bog down
when the accelerator was quiclky depressed.  Ran pretty good.  However, there
is still an ignitioni problem of some sort.  First, know that there is no
emissions stuff on it.  The PO must have purged all that--no cat converter,
etc.  Also, inside the distributor is the little black electronic ignition box
instead of points or the production electronic ignition.

When the car is under load, it seem to have power--but when I run it up to
about 50-60 mph and let up to coast, it misses badly and spits infrequently.
Sitting still, when I rev the engine to 3000-4000 rpm and hold it there are
pings and bad misses.  Idling is fairly smooth with a mild roughness.  We had
a timing light on it yesterday--disconnected the vacuum hose on the
distributor and the timing mark stayed put.

Any ideas?  One very knowledgeable mechanic told me to replace the electronic
ignition with a points distributor.  Like to hear from you guys as to what to
try.
Thanks!~!!

---David
   ---'67 Sprite MKIV, aka, Vicky