Rocker Shaft Assembly - Recap

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rocker Shaft Assembly - Recap
From: Dave Hiley <dhiley@cadvision.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 23:10:44 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Greetings:

Here's the outcome of my problem.  I had a couple of knowledgable people
tell me that it is not unusual for the rocker arms to not line up with the
valve stems.  Many engines have come from the factory that way.  However,
it is not a good thing especially with performance enhancing goodies
installed.

The cure is to use washers for spacers in some circumstances and filing of
the side of the rocker arm in others.  I used a little of both but on one
arm had to file .045 from one side to get it to line up.  (I also swapped
some arms around because they are not all uniform, but got mixed and
unpredictable results so gave up trying to move eight pieces into various
combinations to find the least amount of combined offset.)  The result is a
beauty to behold!!  The head is now firmly torqued in place and tomorrow's
project will be adjust the valves and install the distributor.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions received.

dave

The end is near - warn the neighbours! :))