Re: Rear Axle Leak

To: "Greg MAHNEY" <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>, "shk" <shk@qnet.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Rear Axle Leak
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 11:12:50 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Here is my $0.02 on this stuff.

1) I use heavy duty sealed bearings instead of the standard type.

2) I use brakekleen or acetone to remove all traces of oil/grease from
the hub and the outside seating surface of the bearing

3) i use Loctite medium strength retaining compound on the outer
seating surface

4) I use a large drift to knock the old bearing out and the old bearing
to knock the new bearing in. I put a piece of plate over the old bearing
which is, in turn, over the new bearing, and gently tap the plate with a
hammer, trying very carefully to keep it going in straight.

4a) I use a screwdriver to pick out the old seal and a small brass drift
(1/2")
to *push* the new seal in place. This happens between removing old bearing
and putting in new bearing of course.

5) apply a thin layer of grease on the banjo oil seal seat.
Clean the inner bearing seat and the bearing seat on the banjo with
brakkleen or acetone and use retaining compound again
on the banjo bearing seat.

6) knock hub on with large socket over inner seat.

7) tighten up and use new O-rings/gaskets. (you can get away with the old
ones most of the time but I *hate* having to repeat a job!)

The acetone and retaining compound ensure that the bearing can't rotate
in the hub or on the seat. That rotating causes serious wear. For slightly
tired old hubs, the retaining compound makes the difference between
leaking hubs and non-leakers.

If you still have leaking hubs after this, then you need to use a
speedi-sleeve.

Mike