Re: Weather Reports

To: dwoerpel@wi.net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Weather Reports
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 09:45:24 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Dave--

Glad to be of any assistance, if I can be at all!   I live in Knoxville and
travel I-75 between Cincy and Knoxville several times a year, and I-40 to
Ashville semi-regularly.  Beyond the freak ice storm or snow storm that we get
from time to time, the route is usually clear.  The Road Departments are quick
to scrape and salt the Interstate routes.  Of course this time of year ANY
area is liable to get weather, especially the areas you come through BEFORE
you get to Kentucky,  but I would think that the I-75 route would be the
safest because once you get to Nashville, the I-40 route crosses the "plateau"
--an approximately 45 mile higher altitude section which gets most of the
weather we get in Tennessee.  The biggest two problems I see with the
I-75--I-40 route is just as you cross the KY-TN border on I-75 the road goes
up up up over what we call Jellico Mountain.  When weather hits, the State
Patrol closes the route over Jellico Mountain.  We recently were driving down
I-75 (December 23) coming home from Dayton and it started icing when we got to
Lexington.  By the time I got to Mt. Vernon, about 40 miles below Lexington,
the traffic was going about 20 mph and the roads were slicking up--this was
about 2:30 in the afternoon.  We stopped at Mt. Vernon, spent the night in a
Day's Inn, and got out early the next morning to drive home on a salted,
fairly dry INterstate with little real traffic.  We learned that they HAD in
fact closed the Jellico Mountain I-75 route the night before.

The other trouble spot is the section of I-26 Interstate between Newport, TN
and Ashville, NC.  It too winds through the mountains and is a bit more
susceptable to weather than some of the other places.  Usually it is ok and
clear.  Might check for any construction there and if construction is holding
traffic back, and weather IS NOT an issue, look at US Route 25 as an option
from Newport, TN to Ashville.  Very picturesque, pretty good 2-lane road--a
little bit longer, but not much--That was my choice a couple of months ago
even with I-26 open.  But not to be driven with weather conditions being
suspect.

On balance, if I were traveling I think I would come through Cincy, down I-75.
I would keep a radio on to listen to weather and traffic developments, and
would be prepared for the really unlikely event that I might have to stop
early to spend the night if weather should develop.  (We guys have the
disadvantage that if we are forced to stop driving because of weather, it is
some sort of defeat).   I would also stop regulary at the rest stops to check
on any possible traffic or weather problems ahead or developing.  I have
traveled that route for nearly 20 years and have had to stop overnight only
twice that I can remember.

So that is my little bit with all the standard disclaimers, and then some. Any
of you other Knoxville/Ashville guys have any other opinions or ideas for
Dave?

---David