Re: License Plate Restoration?

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: License Plate Restoration?
From: pasgeirsson@juno.com (Paul A Asgeirsson)
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 11:30:11 EST
Cc: tob@taltec.net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Fri, 8 Jan 1999 10:55:47 EST Ajhsys@aol.com writes:
>In a message dated 1/7/99 7:54:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>tob@taltec.net
>writes:

< by the way is this legal? the CA DMV will not give you new "old"
>plates. If  you lose em you have to get the crappy new blue text on
white
>background  plates. A new plate on an old car is not holy!

When I lived in California they had started the plan of using the Year Of
Manufacture (YOM) plates on cars.  I'm pretty sure it's still in use.
Any of the old plates that match the year of your car are useable.
Hemmings Motor News has listings of individuals that refurbish old
plates.  Check them  out.  I have seen some that have been re done and
they look just like they have come from the prison factory.

They don't have to be the ones that originally came on the car, so you
can also pick them up at swap meets.  They are no longer cheap as they
run pretty close to $100 for a near perfect set.

Paul
PAsgeirsson@juno.com