Re: Smart ass answer Re: More springs

To: "Jeff Sharpe" <jsharpe@501studios.com>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Smart ass answer Re: More springs
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:55:25 +1100
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
OK, I'll try a serious answer.

You need a serious lever and a big weight.

-----------------------------------------------------*****
|    {}

The {} is the spring, the ***** is the weight and ## the floor.

You need to measure the spring displacement from free length.

Of course, since the spring rate might be anywhere b/n 270 and 510 lbs/in
you'll need a 5' lever and 25lbs to get a reasonable relative error.

You can also use the number of winds, the spring gauge, and the free length
to calculate the theoretical spring rate, but I don't have the formula handy
and I'm too lazy to work it out.

Mike