Crank runout

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Crank runout
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:07:21 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I am reassembling my completely rebuilt 1380cc motor.
I am going mostly by the Des Hamill book "How to powertune the 1275".
When I measured crank runout with a dial indicator last night, I saw the
needle swing from -0.0006 to +0.0006.
I am having trouble interpreting this.  Des says "crank runout" must be
less than 0.0005".  So do I have 0.0006 or 0.0012 ?

Vizard says that BL deemed cranks bent by as much as 0.003" as OK. By this
measure, my crank would definitely be ok, but again I don't know how they
measured this.

The machine shop only polished the crank, then balanced it.  I don't know
if they checked runout and thought it was ok, or didn't check it.
I went through a LBC repair shop as a middle man, so I can't just call the
machinist.

Oh, also, how does one measure piston to bore clearance with a feeler
gauge? Do I have to take the rings off one of the pistons to do this?

Thanks,
                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9