Re: Weber trouble? Long description...

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weber trouble? Long description...
From: Christopher Palmer <ctp@gbn.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:18:01 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I'd like to thank everyone for the help so far...I will now bring everyone
up on the WHOLE story and see where this takes us.

The car has a fresh 1275...slight cam...nothing fancy.
I have an Ignitor, a Bosch blue coil, copper core plug wires, Bosch
platinum plugs.
I have a Weber 32/36DGV(manual choke) carb on a Pierce manifold, and a header.

It had run fine for 2 years.
It sat for several months while buying a new house, moving, fixing, and
having a baby.
The battery went dead.  I charged it.

It fired right up, and I drove it...no troubles.

Then one morning on the way to work it started to stumble and would not
idle...I nursed it home.

A few people said, "vacuum leak"...I had had a couple vacuum leaks in my
day, and it did act a bit like that.  I looked for a vacuum leak, none were
obvious.  I took off the carb and checked it over, tightened the manifold
nuts, replaced the base gasket.  It ran fine for 2 days.

A few nights ago it was running fine.  I parked it for 5 minutes...the
starter wouldn't crank over at all (this happened twice in one day)...Maybe
the extended storage did in the battery (?)  Waited another 5 minutes,
started up fine...(I have checked all the cables...they are all new, very
large welding cables, I have a new ford starter solenoid which works great,
the starter was a fresh rebuild when I put the motor in.)...but got to the
end of the street and it started acting funny.  It wanted to idle at
500RPM...then wouldn't idle.

Nursed it home again (5 miles) and parked it.

One hour later I went out and it started right up, and idled fine...then
put it in the garage.

The first thing I am going to do is get the battery and alternator tested
(because of the starting thing)

Then:

I am getting rid of the copper core wires in case they are messing up the
Ignitor (maybe not an issue...maybe too late??)

Then:

Who knows?

CTP