Lever shocks disassembly

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Lever shocks disassembly
From: dingram@tnet.net (Doug Ingram)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 21:37:56 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Last month's discussion about lever shocks included cleaning and refilling
instructions from Peter C and Mike Gigante. Today I removed the front shocks
from my car, and then emptied and cleaned them as suggested. Thanks for the
good advice.

Before I refill and reinstall the shocks, I would like to bead blast and
clearcoat the bodies, and repaint the levers black. This will be much easier
if the bodies and levers are separated. I removed the cotter pins and the
big castellated nuts that attach the levers to the bodies, but the levers
just were not coming off easily. I think I'd better seek some advice before
potentially messing up.

Can anyone tell me if taking the levers off is a reasonable thing to do, and
if there is an easy way to do it? I'm a little worried about what will
happen if I apply too much force, not knowing if there are spacers, springs,
etc that might fly off.

Also, I presume that it is vital that the levers go back on exactly where
they were. Do you know if this is foolproof e.g. they can only go on one
way, or if marking the position is necessary?

Thanks for your help.

Doug Ingram
Victoria BC
1958 Frogeye