Re: BLOCK BARNES & NOBLE

To: PVanWig@aol.com
Subject: Re: BLOCK BARNES & NOBLE
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 11:53:28 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
PVanWig@aol.com wrote:

>  This is important.  Maybe even more important than cars! No one should
>  have a monopoly on information.
>

>  THE PETITION:
>
>  This is so important to the small independent bookseller, please take a
>  moment to sign. If you are the 50th, 100th, 150th signature, please
>  e-mail the petition to the AMERICAN BOOKSELLERS ASSOCIATION, e-mail
>  address: ab-info@bookweb.org   *******************************
>
>  PETITION TO BLOCK BARNES & NOBLE ACQUISITION OF INGRAM
>
>  This petition will be sent to the Congress, Department of Justice and
>  the
>  Federal Trade Commission to block Barnes & Noble's proposed acquisition
>  of the Ingram Book Company, the single largest supplier of books to
>  small bookstores across the country. This acquisition, should it be
>  allowed to take place, is just one more example of the large scale
>  corporate consolidation that has infiltrated every corner of our
>  culture. As the desire intensifies to increase bottom line profits, no
>  matter what the other consequences, so does the concentration of power
>  in the book industry.
>
>  Consumers are left with an environment in which fewer and fewer people
>  are deciding which books get published and ultimately, which books
>  Americans can
>  read and buy. Barnes & Noble has alread enteed into an alliance with the
>  $14
>  billion media giant, German-owned Bertelsmann AG. Now with Barnes and
>  Noble's proposed acquisition of the billion dollar Ingram Book Company,
>  there can be little doubt that the book industry is falling prey to the
>  same anti-competitive ills that currently plague computer software and
>  other industries.
>
>  This deal would make independent bookstores virtually dependent upon
>  their
>  largest competitor for their books. (It is as if Burger King and Wendy's
>  had to buy their french fries from McDonald's) We need your help. As a
>  patron of
>  independent booksellers, please sign the petition to help us lobby the
>  government to stop this proposed merger. Please exercise your right as a
>  citizen and tell the government how you feel. We sincerely thank you for
>  your support.
>
>  Please add your name to this petition and forward it to as many people
>  as you can.
>
>  IMPORTANT: Do not use the "forward" utility in your mail program.
>  Instead, cut and paste this message onto new, add your name to the
>  bottom of the list, and  send it out.
>
>  1. Lucy Honig, Quincy MA
>  2. Ann Goodsell, Cambridge, MA
>  3. Stuart Rubinow, Brookline, MA
>  4. Susan McCulley, Charlottesville, VA
>  5. David McNair, Charlottesville, VA
>  6. Murdoch Matheson, Charlottesville, VA
>  7.. Pam Adler, San Rafael, CA
>  8. Elizabeth Collier, Seattle, WA
>  9. Corlu Collier, Newport, OR
>  10. George A. Collier, San Francisco, CA
> [...]
Dont bother bombing this list with this crap. As a business owner I hate
when people outside of the industry get involved. If this is such a
hideous proposition to the small book industry, why don't they band
together and offer a counter proposition. Sorry if I disagree with you,
you are entitled to your opinion, but this list is not the venue to air
it.

Mark Snowdon
Greensboro NC